Sign the petition -- Sarah Palin: Please Resign.

Prominent conservative columnist and former Palin supporter Kathleen Parker called for Sarah Palin to resign from the Republican ticket. Even a conservative columnist and former Palin supporter is saying it: Palin is far from Vice-Presidential material. Can you sign our petition asking her to resign? Full petition statement:

Governor Palin, for the good of the country, please step down as John McCain's running mate.

Don't worry -- we won't spam you -- we'll just keep you updated on our campaign, and let you know about other opportunities to stop John McCain and Sarah Palin. You'll be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles, and see that the world is moving."

—Elizabeth Cady Stanton


"And I am especially proud to say in the week we celebrate the anniversary of women's suffrage [that she is] a devoted, a devoted wife and mother of five."
—John McCain introducing Sarah Palin

"If this doesn't resonate with every woman in America, I'll eat my hat."
—Alaska delegate Bill Noll on Sarah Palin

Dear Bill, get ready to eat your hat. —The Eds.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Women say NO - Part 21


“No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots."
—Barbara Ehrenreich



Women have sacrificed and fought the long battles that have brought us to this point, and we cannot digress. We must forge AHEAD to work toward social and political justice, not just for women, but for all of our citizens. Our great country needs a progressive and empathic leader, who recognizes that we have a responsibility to our populace, and a responsibility to respect the established cultures of the international community. Ms. Palin does not speak to these values, which I hold very dear!
-K. L., Buffalo, NY

As someone who had an abortion at 18, I find Palin's pro-life views dangerous.
I would have done ANYTHING to get out of the situation I was in. I even contemplated throwing myself down a flight of stairs but was afraid my parents would then find out I was pregnant. Had abortion not been safe and legal, who knows what I would have been forced to do. I do not regret my decision to have an abortion. It was, for me, the right decision. Who is she to take that decision away from me?
-Amy K., 43 and the proud mother of a 22-month-old son who was wanted more than Palin will ever know!

Guess what, Democrats have been including women in this process forever.
-They have sent 139 women to the House or representatives, Republican only 79.
-They have elected 22 women to the United States Senate, Republicans 13.
-Democrats have also elected 19 Female governors compared to the republicans at just 12. So Republicans watch out because we are not so easily hypnotized by a woman being brought into a place of power by politics, we have done it time and again, and we will not vote for someone who is not qualified for the job simply because she is a woman.

-Gina W., Winslow, AZ

As a younger voter here I have looked into the candidates very closely. We as women have the right to choose what we do and don't do, one leader cannot take away what we have worked for for so long.
-Katie H., 19, Mechanicsburg, PA

There is nothing in her record to support she is in the least qualified to be Vice-President and certainly not ready to lead this Country if put in that position. I believe she is a pawn used solely for political purposes by the Republicans in a desperate attempt to reclaim their position in the upcoming election. Historically the Republican Party has been very clear on how it viewed working mothers, especially ones with infants at home, yet suddenly they are exploiting a women in these circumstances. I find it very disheartening and a sad demonstration of "politics as usual!"
-Laurie S., 47, Rochester MN

Our first female leader of the United States is a crucial moment in our nation’s history. For my daughter. For all of us. It is quite clear to me that Sarah Palin is not the female role model that I want for my daughter. For my country.
That is why I say No Palin.
-Laura H., 49, Fort Wayne, IN

The assumption that, as a woman, Sarah Palin was a substitute for Hilary Clinton supporters is monstrously insulting. I am incredulous at the ludicrousness of this choice, given Palin's lack of experience, political record, and blithe ignorance of global realities. The more we learn, the more we cringe. Her nomination shames us.
-Janet D., 66, Chestertown, MD

Choosing Palin shows how short sighted the Republican party is and how little regard they have for the intelligence of women. It also demonstrates very poor judgment and how McCain is in the pocket of the conservative right wing of the republican party and again we may have a puppet in the white house with no backbone!
-Jan T., Portland, OR

Sarah Plain represents the opposite of change. She represents the male establishment fronting her as a smokescreen to try to win over women's votes. This is purely for political gain and ambition on her part. There is very little respect for the hard-fought battles and sacrifices of the women of our country. I deeply resent her claim that she is a representative for women's rights.
-Jennifer T., 42, Denver, CO

I cannot believe that the Republican party could be so stupid as to pick someone with NO experience for the roll as VP. It scares the hell out of me that she would be a heartbeat away from running this country.
-Judy L., CA

Pat Buchanan defended Sarah Palin's nomination by saying she is a beauty queen for God's sake. Women run as fast as you can and stand in line as long as you have to to vote against this nightmare.

-Linda H., Overland Park, KS